Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Ocean & Counting

The boys had a lot of fun and energy for class today! What fun we had!

We started by counting with flash cards. Boys did great with that.

Then we watched a video about the fun animals in the ocean - or "under the sea"


We talked about the animals there, and we even acted out actions with the ocean creatures we saw. (Sharks bite, eels swim like snakes, crabs have pinchers, etc.)

Some other fun songs to go along with the ocean theme:

"Five Oceans" 
(to the tune of Frere Jacque)

There are five
There are five
o-ceans, o-ceans
Pacific and Atlantic
Indian and Arctic
Southern too, Southern too

"I'm a Little Fishy" 
(to the tune of I'm a little teacup)

I'm a little fishy
I can swim
Here is my tail
Here is my fin
When I want to have fun
with my friends
I wiggle my tail
and dive right in

and my personal favorite:

"Five Little Fish" 
(to the tune of five little monkeys)

Five little fishes 
swimming in the sea
Teasing Mr. Shark
can't catch meeeee...
Along came Mr. Shark
as quiet as can be
SNAP! that little fishy
right out of the sea.

Four little fishes...

Then we read a few books. One was about sea creatures, and we pointed out what creatures we saw. We then read about how there are some birds that live near the ocean and some go swimming in there to find their foods. We read a story about penguins and talked about how they live near the coldest parts of the ocean in the world in Antarctica!

Then we went inside and colored and cut and glued together a fun game where we decided which animals lived on land and which lived on the sea. The boys worked on holding the scissors correctly and cutting straight lines. I think they over all did a great job.


Our dear Everett talked the entire time about how Elephants should live in the ocean, so we finally compromised and decided that maybe Elephants liked to swim so it was okay to put them 'in the ocean'. The boys were also pretty surprised to learn that not Elephants live at the zoo. haha.

After our craft we had snack, and then went outside to explore some sensory fun with sand, shells and water.
 (and of course little Miss Belle had to taste test the sand to see if it was any good or not. Oh brother.)
All-in-all a fun day at preschool. 

No comments: